The Discipleship Pathway - Knowing Christ, Part 1
Pastor John Black
Part 1: South Gate's Mission & Vision
Pastor John Black
Date: September 9, 2018
Text: Matthew 28:18-20
Title: Vision Sunday! Part 1
Series: South Gate’s Mission and Vision
Then Jesus came near and said to them,
“All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe everything I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
I. The Great Commission. What is it?
The Great Commission is a . . .
· Divine Mandate
· Distinct Message
· Defined Mission
II. South Gate Baptist Church’s Mission:
· Equipping Every believer to Go and Make Disciples
III. How are we going to accomplish our mission?
We must have a . . .
· Passionate Vision
· Intentional Direction
· Strategic Plan
You are called to be part of the Great Commission and the Mission of South Gate!
Will you take the next step?
Humanity, We Have a PRoblem!
Dr. carl Rees
September 9, 2018
Dr. Carl Rees
"Humanity, We Have a Problem!"
Isaiah 53 presents Jesus as a Suffering Servant:
1) A Suffering Servant who is dispised and rejected
2) A Suffering Servant who submits as a substitute
3) A Suffering Servant who is exalted and victorious
Three Types of Suffering:
1) All sufferers are sinners - because you are a sinner, you suffer
2) Innocent people suffer - because we live in a fallen world
3) Some suffer vicariously - the innocent in place of the guilty
Characteristics of Sin:
1) Sin is universal - we all are sinners
2) Sin is stupid - it leads us away from God, it breaks our relationship with God, and it takes us away from God's heart
3) Sin separates us from God
4) Sin is selfish - we go our own way, trust in our own weakness
God's response to the problem was to lay it on Jesus - the problem was solved (vs 12).